At All Hallows’ CE (VA) Primary School, we understand the importance of PE and the long term effects of it for our children. Children who participate in physical education get a workout, and they also learn the importance of exercise as a life long habit. PE improves self-confidence and self-esteem and strengthens relationships between the children due to the need to communicate and co-operate together. Physical exercise is also a great way to alleviate stress and to provide access to the outdoor environment.
So how do we deliver physical education?
- We follow the guidance set out in the National Curriculum. In Key Stage 1 this covers mastering basic movements such as running and throwing, participating in team games and performing simple dance routines. In Key Stage 2 these skills are developed further as well as bringing in a competitive element and the introduction of swimming.
- We provide 2 hours of high quality PE lessons a week.
- We have signed up to and follow the Primary PE Passport planning and assessment tools allowing us a way to provide quality lessons and to evaluate ours and the children's progression.
- We tailor our teaching so that all abilities will be able to get the most out of our lessons.
- We have links to other schools allowing us to share good practice and plan events together.
- We signed up to implement the Governments plan to provide 60 minutes of physical exercise daily. 30 minutes of this is to be done at home and the other 30 minutes is additional exercise at school. We aim to meet this target by doing a daily mile run, providing brain breaks during lessons where we do a short physical activity, providing equipment at play times and lunchtimes as well as coaches during lunchtimes. We also provide after school activities.
- We offer access to out of school sporting activities and clubs that are either run by staff or specialist teachers.
- We run intra school events,such as sports days, allowing the children to compete against each other.
- We attend sporting events against other schools which allow pathways to the Yorkshire games.
- We use specialist coaches, where appropriate, to help with the teaching of specific skills or team sports eg rugby coaches from Huddersfield Giants.
- We constantly update our sporting equipment making sure it is in good order and that we have enough for all the children to participate.
- We have a sports board in school showing pupil achievement, world sporting events and links to sport clubs in the local area.
In 2013 the Government introduced the Sports Premium as a way of improving PE equipment and provision throughout schools in England. You can read how we spent this money below:
Before COVID19 lockdowns and closures, our children had their swimming lessons in Year 4. Now, the children currently in Year 5 will continue to attend swimming lessons to ensure that the national curriculum requirements can be met.
|Meeting national curriculum requirements for swimming and water safety||% of children achieved during swimming in Year 4 - 2018/19|
|What percentage of your Year 6 pupils could swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres when they left your primary school at the end of last academic year?||100%|
|What percentage of your Year 6 pupils could use a range of strokes effectively [for
example, front crawl, backstroke and breaststroke] when they left your primary school
at the end of last academic year?
|What percentage of your Year 6 pupils could perform safe self-rescue in different waterbased situations when they left your primary school at the end of last academic year?||100%|
|Schools can choose to use the Primary PE and Sport Premium to provide additional provision for swimming but this must be for activity over and above the national curriculum requirements. Have you used it in this way?||No|
As we are currently in lock-down again, it is hard to do as much physical exercise as we would like. Below is a list of websites and links to sports activities that you can do at home.
Movement and exercise
BBC Supermovers - https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/supermovers
Go Noodle - https://www.gonoodle.com/
NHS Change 4 life - https://www.nhs.uk/change4life/activities/indoor-activities
Youth Sports Trust - https://www.youthsporttrust.org/free-resources
Move Crew - http://ukactivekids.com/movecrew/
Dance with Oti - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC58aowNEXHHnflR_5YTtP4g
Imoves - https://imoves.com/the-imovement
Diversity - https://20dv.co.uk/
The Place - https://www.youtube.com/c/theplace
FA Superkicks - https://www.thefa.com/get-involved/the-fa-superkicks
Cosmic Kids Yoga - https://www.youtube.com/user/CosmicKidsYoga
Ready Set Ride - https://readysetride.co.uk/prepare
A weekly zoom session - https://rathboneboxingclub.com/pages/fighttogether-kids-holiday-term-boxing
Adults & Kids
Couch to family fit - https://ourparks.org.uk/couch-to-family-fit